Welcome to the Portsmouth Volunteers In Schools (VIS) program. The volunteer program provides an opportunity to become involved in our schools’ activities. The entire school community, students, parents, teachers, and administrators benefit from the work of dedicated individuals such as yourself – people who are willing to share their time and talents in support of quality education.
Rhode Island General Law 16-2-18.4 states that any person who is a current or prospective volunteer of a private school or public school department and who may have direct and unmonitored contact with children or students on school premises shall undergo a state criminal background check to be initiated prior to or within one week of commencement of such volunteer work.
If you would like to volunteer in one of our schools, an updated Volunteers in Schools application is required each year. You will NOT be able to volunteer in the classroom until your application is approved. Please keep in mind that the background check can take at least 2 weeks.
In order to get approval to Volunteer in Schools, please visit the Portsmouth School Department’s Volunteer’s page to start your application.
First Steps – complete the application
The following are required with your VIS application:
- A hard copy notarized VIS Authorization Form (accessible on the PSD Volunteer Page)
- The electronic Google Form Registration (accessible on the PSD Volunteer Page)
- A photocopy of your driver’s license (front and back) or passport
- A check for $5.00 made payable to BCI
Next Steps – submit the application
There are a few ways you can submit the application:
- The HPTA will provide opportunities at various events at the start of the school year to get your form notarized and collect your application in person.
- The application can also be notarized at the Town Hall (or anywhere a notary is available), and submitted to the school via your child’s folder.
The Hathaway VIS Coordinator is your liaison with the school. Questions about submission can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once your application is approved the VIS Coordinator will send you a welcome e-mail confirming your approval to volunteer in schools.
Thank you for supporting Hathaway students and faculty!